A Pennsylvania woman says she was sick for a whole day after she made a disturbing find inside her canned spinach.
Cherie Lyons told the York Daily Record that she was about to heat up some Del Monte canned spinach to go with her chicken on June 14 when she noticed a lump.
It was a dead baby bird, the Franklin County resident told Fox 43:
“I dumped the spinach out into the bowl and I took a little bite like I usually do before I put the spinach in the microwave, well then over here it was kind of lumped up, so I went to break it up with my fingers and when I broke it up, I picked up a bird.”
Lyons added that “it was the yellow beak that gave it away.” She said:
“I immediately felt like I was going to vomit. I was sick for the next whole day.”
The Pennsylvanian immediately took pictures of the baby bird and posted them to Facebook.
So for dinner tonight i had grilled chicken, baked potato and BABY BIRD…in my spinich!! I am traumatized!! I found…
So for dinner tonight i had grilled chicken, baked potato and BABY BIRD…in my spinich!! I am traumatized!! I found some weird stuff in can veggies but never anything like this.. I’ve washed my hands a couple times and they still don’t feel clean and I feel nauseated. Somebody will be getting a phone call tomorrow! So so so gross that i almost ate this!!!(thebird)
Lyons told the York Daily Record that she felt like Del Monte “didn’t believe” her when she told them about the find but offered $10 in compensation. She said that she turned it down.
However, the company now wants Lyons to send the bird over so that it can be tested by a third party, Fox 43 reports.
Del Monte said in a statement:
Del Monte Foods is committed to providing high quality, safe and nutritious foods. We are working with the consumer to gather more information and investigate the matter. We implement strict controls throughout our operations to ensure our products meet the highest levels of quality, safety, and purity.
A certain level of contaminants is allowed in fresh and canned spinach, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The FDA states that some “insects and mites” can legally be inside processed spinach. That includes caterpillars, worms, aphids, thrips, and leaf miners.
Birds are not listed as an accepted contaminant.
Lyons has contacted lawyers regarding the incident. She said that she wants a “health inspector” to “check” Del Monte.