Note: This article contains graphic content.
Uber, a ride-sharing service, says safety is of the utmost importance.
Nonetheless, a conversation one passenger had with his Uber driver proves that a person can never be too careful when putting their life in someone else’s hands.
According to WPVI, the recorded conversation took place in San Jose, California. The passenger who recorded the conversation asked to remain anonymous.
"My dream is to have some drunk chick by herself…"Uber has banned a California driver after a passenger caught this conversation on tape. Read and watch more here: http://abc7.la/2smN4rC
Posted by ABC7 on Saturday, June 17, 2017
The recording started when the Uber driver began describing a fantasy of his:
“I wish at the end of every shift, I’m like and I go home at about 3:00 a.m., right? My dream is to have some drunk chick by herself also going home … at the end of my shift … and she wants me to come it … and that’d be the perfect ending to my day.”
One of the passengers in the vehicle at the time quickly began to challenge the driver’s disturbing fantasy:
Passenger 1: But is that advantage, though?
Driver: That’s a big advantage because…
Passenger 1: No, that’s taking advantage…
Driver: Half of the work is already done, man. She’s isolated and she’s drunk.
Passenger 2: And she’s helpless.
Passenger 1: Yeah, the problem is, I understand that, but your taking advantage is the problem.
Driver: I would get really drunk too and then I would … I can’t be held responsible. I can’t be held responsible if I’m drunk.
Passenger 1: I’m just saying if you’re sober and she’s drunk, it’s a bit wrong. But if you’re both drunk, it’s okay.
Driver: If you were in my shoes, you’d do it too, so don’t even lie. Don’t even front, dude.
The following morning, the passenger decided he needed to do something about the driver’s inappropriate comments. He told ABC 7 that he posted the original recording to Facebook as a warning to women using the car service. He then notified Uber, which he said acted quickly.
Don't miss a beat at Coachella with reliable rides at the tap of a button: ubr.to/coachella17
Uber fired the driver in question. The company said in a statement:
The comments in this video are disturbing and do not represent our driver-partner community. This driver has been banned from Uber.
The Victims of Violence website stresses the importance of traveling in a group and making sure your location is known. The website provides helpful tips on how to stay safe during a night out:
- Make sure someone always knows where you are going and when you will be back, even if they only have a general idea it is better than nothing.
- Being alone at night is never a good idea when traveling outside. It is always a good idea to go out in a group or at least with one other person.
- If you have a cell phone, it is a good idea to bring it with you so you have easy access in case you need to make a call.
If you do find yourself alone and using a ride-share service at the end of the night, it’s important to be proactive about your safety. Some safety tips include:
- Double-check the make, model and license plate number before getting into the car. Most rideshare services share this information when you reserve a car, so make sure it matches the car that arrives to pick you up.
- Ride in the backseat. Regardless of how friendly the driver may seem, don’t ride shotgun. Riding in the back can put a safe distance between you and your driver…
- Stay awake and alert.
Those traveling alone can turn on their location sharing services with someone they trust. Uber also allows riders to set up the “Family Profile,” which notifies a person of your choice of your trip details.