Kelly Batstone’s 3-year-old daughter, Lilanna, who was sick with chicken pox, was playing with their kitten, Chanel, when the pet scratched one of the toddler’s chicken pox spots.

Batstone was not concerned about the scratch until she put her daughter to bed. That’s when she noticed one of the spots on her neck was redder and more inflamed than the other spots, according to The Sun.

Batstone assumed it was just a symptom of the chicken pox, but then Lilanna woke her up in the middle of the night, holding her neck in pain.

Batstone inspected the lump on her daughter’s neck and saw that it had grown larger since the last time she had looked at it.

Batstone took her daughter to the emergency room. Lilana was energetic and playful in the waiting room, but an hour later, her daughter vomited, developed a rash all over her body and appeared lifeless.

Batstone said:

It was really scary. I knew there was something very wrong.

Doctors attempted to put a cannula in her hand to administer medication but couldn’t because Lilanna’s veins were collapsing. Luckily, an hour later, they were able to administer fluids and an antibiotic, and she was stabilized.

Her doctor diagnosed her and treated her for toxic shock syndrome, which came as a surprise to Batstone.

Batstone told The Sun:

“I only knew what toxic shock syndrome was from reading about it on tampon boxes, as tampons can cause it. I didn’t realize it was something kids could get. It was frightening because, although I didn’t know much about it, I did know it was really serious.”

According to Mayo Clinic:

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, life-threatening complication of certain types of bacterial infections.

Symptoms of toxic shock syndrome include:

A sudden high fever; low blood pressure (hypotension); vomiting or diarrhea, a rash resembling a sunburn, particularly on your palms and soles; confusion; muscle aches; redness of your eyes, mouth and throat; seizures; and headaches.

Some of the risk factors associated with toxic shock syndrome are cuts or burns, recent surgeries, super-absorbent tampons, or a viral infection like chicken pox or flu.

Batstone’s daughter is healing, but she’s not completely in the clear. Once an individual develops toxic shock syndrome, there is an increased risk of contracting it again. Batstone said:

If we see any signs, we will have to take her to hospital immediately. If she falls over and cuts herself, we also need to keep an eye on any wounds. I’m going to be extremely vigilant and really wary of everything.

Recognizing that there was something wrong and taking her daughter for treatment made all the difference.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.

DEARLY JOINING FORCES WITH MAMA'S UNCUT