On October 30, four children were struck by a vehicle while trying to get on their morning bus.

According to WTHR, the bus had both its stop arm extended and its exterior lights turned on. A Toyota Tacoma struck the four children as they crossed the street. The accident took place around 7:15 a.m.

Three of the four victims have died as a result of their injuries. The fourth child was airlifted to a Fort Wayne, Indiana, hospital, where he remains.

The three children who lost their lives were all from the same family. Authorities identified them as 6-year-old twins Xzavier and Mason Ingle, and their older sister, 9-year-old Alivia Stahl.

The 11-year-old victim suffered multiple broken bones and other injuries. He was conscious when the police arrived at the scene. He is not related to the other three victims.

As WTHR reports, the driver of the truck has been identified as 24-year-old Alyssa Shepherd. She reportedly stayed at the scene until authorities arrived.

She was arrested later that day while at work. Shepherd has since been charged with three counts of reckless homicide and one count of passing a school bus with its safety arm extended and causing injury.

An investigation into exactly why the accident took place is still ongoing.

The Tippecanoe Valley School Corporation released this statement following the crash that took the lives of three of their students:

Our school corporation has suffered a tragedy this morning. We have learned of three student fatalities and one student seriously injured and airlifted to a Fort Wayne hospital as they were hit by a vehicle while boarding their bus.

We have deployed all school counselors to meet the emotional needs of our staff, students and parents.

We are awaiting to learn more confirmed details but wish to ask the community to come together to pray for the families, our students and our staff.

As ABC News reports, Sgt. Tony Slocum, the PIO for the Indiana State Police, added his condolences as well:

“Our hearts just break for the families involved here in this tragic situation, and our prayers obviously go out to them. It was a tough day to watch the emotions that these family members had to go through and a tough day for first responders. It’s been a while since I’ve seen first responders cry, but I saw some tears shed today because that’s what the situation dictated.”

Shepard has since been released after posting a $15,000 bond.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.