A school shooting at a Texas high school has left a 15-year-old female student injured from the attack; a 16-year-old male suspect is in custody.

Monday morning, the Ellis County Police Department posted an alert on their Facebook page regarding the attack, which occurred at around 8:00 a.m at Italy High School, according to WFAA.


WFAA reports that the suspect shot the teen in the cafeteria with a semi-automatic handgun then fled the scene, but was arrested when he ran outside the school.

He was then taken into custody by the Italy Police Department and the Texas Department of Public Safety “without incident.”

The victim was airlifted to a Dallas hospital for treatment.

According to WFAA, students said that there were previous incidents which involved the 16-year-old suspect, and the school disciplined him accordingly. The school would not release any details regarding these incidents or the measures taken to discipline him.

Superintendent Lee Joffre said:

“Unfortunately a school district is not allowed to release any disciplinary information about a student.”

Alyssa Crawford, a former Italy High School student, said she was a former friend of the suspect, whose name has not been released because he is a minor.

A woman who told WFAA she was a former friend of the alleged attacker who once attended the school said:

“They shouldn’t have let him come to the school anymore after some of the stuff he’s done.”

The Associated Press reports that 17-year-old Cassie Shook was upset when she heard who the suspect was, because she had come forward twice before with complaints to school officials about his disturbing behavior.

Shook said that she made her first complaint when she was in the eighth grade. She said the suspect created a “hit list” and she was on it. The second time was when the suspect lost his temper and threw scissors at one of her friends and “threw a computer against a wall.”

She said:

“I ran out of the classroom screaming, telling everyone to hide because I was scared.”

She said that after this event, the police spoke to the class and the suspect left the school briefly, but was later allowed back in.

Shook added:

“This could have been avoidable. There were so many signs.”

You can watch the WFAA report below.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.