A South Wales mom shared a stark warning after her 4-year-old caught a life-threatening disease by trying on new shoes without socks.
Jodie Thomas told the Mirror that her little girl suddenly fell ill the day after a back-to-school shopping trip earlier this month.
Sienna Rasul was wearing sandals while trying on shoes— which is where the problem arose.
She wrote on Facebook:
For all parents please put socks on you’re children while trying new shoes on.
I’m guilty not doing it for mine and myself, but this can be the outcome infection spreading throughout the body.
You don’t don’t know who’s feet has been in them before hand!
Thomas took Rasul to the doctors, where she was diagnosed with sepsis.
Thomas was told that it was likely caused from bacteria from another infected little girl’s foot— and it could have cost her daughter her leg if not treated properly.
Who would thought trying new shoes on could make someone so ill.
So with back to school shopping under way, carry a pair of spare socks!
Initially, Thomas thought her daughter would need an operation, but fortunately doctors were able to treat the infection with an antibiotic drip and by draining the pus from her leg.
The 4-year-old spent five days in the hospital but is now being monitored at home.
In the mom’s warning to parents, she added:
I knew you risk getting things like athlete’s foot from trying on shoes but blood poisoning is far more serious.
You don’t know whose feet have been in the shoes before you.
I’m so glad I got [Sienna] to the hospital quickly.
With mums and dads doing back-to-school shopping I would advise them to take a spare pair of socks with them.
According to the Centers for Disease and Control (CDC):
Sepsis is the body’s extreme response to an infection.
If left untreated, it can cause rapid changes that lead to organ failure, tissue damage, and death.