Two weeks ago, Wesley Mathews punished his adopted daughter, Sherin Mathews, for not drinking her milk. As punishment, he left her alone in an alley — known to be frequented by coyotes — at 3 a.m. Sadly, she was never seen again.

Police have been searching for the missing 3-year-old ever since her father reported her missing, five hours after her initial disappearance, as previously reported by Dearly.

Mathews told police that after leaving her outside, he came back for her 15 minutes later but she was gone. He added that he did laundry as he waited to search for her — he wanted to wait until the sun came up and hoped she would come back on her own.

Now, the Dallas News reports that a child’s body, believed to be the 3-year-old missing girl’s, has been found less than a mile away from Sherin’s home in Richardson, Texas.

Richardson Police Sgt. Kevin Perlich explained:

“The indications are that it is most likely her, however, we have not had positive ID. So until we have a positive identification we are not going to say it is Sherin.”

Perlich went on to describe how the body was found:

“As the investigation continued to unfold, more and more stuff came to [the] surface and we followed up on that. It led to the search of that area with canines, and that’s how we came across the body.”

According to WFAA, the child’s body was found in an underground culvert during the search on Sunday.

The FBI seized multiple items from the family’s home during the investigation, including a digital camera, a tablet, three laptops, and five cellphones. The SUV that vanished from the family’s home between 4 and 5 on the morning of Sherin’s disappearance was also taken by police.

As Fox News reports, vacuum contents, dark hair-like fibers, two yellow gloves, a dish scrubber (found inside two grocery bags), a blue string, and the washer and dryer were also confiscated from the home. Receipts, DNA swabs, and debris from the three vehicles at the home were also taken to be examined.

At the time of Sherin’s disappearance, her mother, Sini Mathews, told police she was sleeping and did not know what her husband had done to their daughter. Meanwhile, Wesley was charged with abandoning or endangering a child.

As Dearly previously reported, he was freed from jail after posting $250,000 bail, having an electronic monitoring device put on him, and surrendering his passport.

A Child Protective Services hearing is scheduled to determine where the family’s 4-year-old biological daughter will be placed after being put in state custody following her sister’s disappearance.

There were not any additional charges announced as of Sunday night.

The medical examiner is working to determine the cause of death and the child’s identification of the body that was found.

Watch the FBI conduct the search below.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.