A seven-day vacation on a Princess Cruise ship to Alaska had a gruesome ending for Kristy Manzanares.

The 39-year-old Utah woman boarded the ship in Seattle with 1,100 crew members and 3,400 other passengers, including the man that would put an end to her life, according to ABC News.


Two days after the ship embarked on its journey, around 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday evening, the woman became the victim of a domestic dispute aboard the ship, leading to her death.

According to the Associated Press, FBI Special Agent Michael L. Watson reported that her husband, Kenneth Manzanares, was found with blood covering his hands and clothes in their cabin.

When an acquaintance of Kenneth’s walked into the Manzanares’s cabin, he found Kristy’s bloody body on the floor.

Kenneth attempted to drag his wife’s lifeless body to the balcony, but was stopped by the acquaintance. At that point, more people came into the couple’s cabin.

Kenneth confessed to the acquaintance, telling him his wife’s laughter drove him to kill her — he said she would not stop laughing at him.


Passengers described hearing two men and a woman fighting, first on their balcony, then continuing into the hallway.

The next alarming sound passengers heard was the voice of the captain of the ship calling for help.

As FOX13 reports, Emerald Princess passenger Megan Morr described the panic on the ship after hearing the captain come on the loud speaker:

“He was very worked up, he said, ‘Everyone, we need all medical, security, all personnel to deck 9 and deck 14;’ and that scared me because I’m on deck 14. People were running through the hall with blood all over them and trying to get security.”

Passengers were unaware there was a dead body in a room at that point, but they did see a man trying to escape from security:

“They were on deck 7 and he tried to run up to deck 9 to jump off the ship, but security grabbed him before he could jump.”

Kenneth was handcuffed and taken to a separate cabin once he was caught.


As Kenneth was being searched by the FBI, he said:

“My life is over.”

Morr explained that passengers were informed of the woman’s death when an announcement was made the next morning, letting the guests know the itinerary had changed because of the murder:

“Unfortunately we won’t be going because last night a 39-year-old Utah woman was killed by her husband the FBI will be joining the ship within the hour.”

The ship was then diverted to Juneau for the FBI’s investigation. Passengers were held on the ship for hours in lockdown mode as the FBI investigated.


A passenger told KOMO that the crew did a wonderful job of taking care of everyone on the ship while the tragedy was unfolding:

“They handled everything quickly and kept the ship secure. The staff was calm and really great about making everybody else feel calm.”

The company issued a statement following the murder:

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and all those impacted by this tragic event.

Princess Cruises will be giving passengers a $150 onboard credit because the tragedy impacted their vacation.

The FBI is in charge of the investigation because the crime took place on the water. Teams from both Anchorage and Seattle were sent to meet the ship in Juneau to speak with the victim’s family members.

Kenneth Manzanares of Santa Clara, Utah, has been charged with murder.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.