A New Jersey mom who accidentally suffocated her toddler by passing out on top of him has now been charged in his death.

Antoinette King, 33, said she drank four “airplane bottles” of alcohol and took a painkiller on January 19 in preparation of partying with friends, the Courier Post reported.

Her mother, Gail King, was watching Antoinette’s two sons, ages 5 and 13-months, at the time.

Gail went to take a shower and returned from the bathroom around 8:30 p.m. to find her daughter unconscious on top of the youngest child, Jerimiah.

The grandmother contacted emergency services who arrived to find both mother and child unconscious in the home.

Antoinette and Jerimiah were taken to Virtua Hospital of Mount Holly where he was later pronounced dead. The mom was revived and recovered.

An autopsy later confirmed the child’s cause of death to be a result of smothering beneath his mother’s body.

CBS Philly

She was charged with endangering the welfare of a child in January and was encouraged by a judge to undergo substance abuse evaluation, the Courier Post reported.

On Monday, the mother was brought up on an additional charge of manslaughter, according to the Associated Press.

The Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office said charges were upgraded to homicide “after investigators received the results of toxicology tests performed on blood drawn from King following the incident.”

The results of the toxicology tests were not revealed. However, it’s confirmed emergency services had to administer Narcan to mother, which reverses the effects of an opioid overdose.

The mother has not spoken out publicly regarding the new charge.

Leave a comment

One Reply to “Mother Is Charged With Manslaughter After Passing Out on Top of Toddler, Smothering Him to Death”

In response to:

Mother Is Charged With Manslaughter After Passing Out on Top of Toddler, Smothering Him to Death

Your email address will not be published.