A Kentucky mom is encouraging parents to trust their intuition after a tick bite left her son nearly lifeless.

After a trip to the park with his dad and grandfather three weeks ago, two-year-old Jackson Oblisk’s health seemed to take a turn for the worse, Inside Edition reports.

His mom Kayla Oblisk said:

“It was just any day. They came home and as they sat there, they realized Jack had a tick on his neck.”

After they properly removed the tick, the family thought no more of it since Jackson seemed fine.

However, after several days, the toddler developed a fever and a rash. Although Oblisk thought it was just an ear infection, she still took her son to the doctor. The pediatrician recommended medicine and rest, but over the next few days, Jackson’s fever worsened.

At that point, the mom took her son to the emergency room. Doctors diagnosed Jackson with Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF).

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports :

RMSF is a bacterial disease spread through the bite on an infected tick. Most people who get sick with RMSF will have a fever, headache, and rash. RMSF can be deadly if not treated early with the right antibiotic.

Further, the CDC reports that the disease is usually transmitted by either the American dog tick, brown dog tick, or the Rocky Mountain wood tick.

Oblisk said:

“They said it’s very rare in children his age and it’s usually fatal by day eight. We were on day seven. I cried. I cried a lot.”

After Jackson was admitted into the hospital, he fell into a coma on June 26 and did not wake up until June 30.

His mom told Inside Edition:

“My son does not sleep all day and sleep all night. He was not conscious. He woke up in the middle to cry and scream in pain.”

Furthermore, Oblisk said that during that time Jackson swelled up “like a balloon.”

She said:

“They didn’t know if my child can make it through this — that’s the worst thing a parent can hear about a child.”

As Inside Edition reports, his hands and feet grew particularly large and his eyes were swollen shut.

Fortunately, several days later, the toddler regained consciousness. Currently, Jackson still doesn’t walk and hardly talks, but often smiles and laughs.

Although he still has several weeks of physical therapy and hospital visits to take on, doctors are sure he will recover.

His mom is warning other parents to take tick bites seriously and to trust their instincts when it comes to their children.

Oblisk said:

“If you don’t speak up for them, nobody else will. I felt like something was wrong before but I told myself I’m crazy because it’s my baby and I’m being overprotective. If I had spoken up sooner, maybe we wouldn’t have been through so much.”

A GoFundMe page is available for those wanting to help the family with medical bills.

About the author

I am a journalist from the D(M)V, who is just trying to make every day count.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.

DEARLY JOINING FORCES WITH MAMA'S UNCUT