A mom has gone viral on Facebook after warning others against using a wire bristle brush to clean your grill.

On July 25, Candyce Woods took to social media in hopes of preventing someone else from going through a similar experience.

As Woods explained, she had just sat down to eat the chicken and pineapple she had made on the grill. She was no more than a few bites into her chicken when she knew she swallowed something she shouldn’t have.

Last Thursday night we had just sat down to eat dinner. We grilled chicken and pineapple that night. I was only a few…

Posted by Candyce Woods on Thursday, July 25, 2019

Woods wrote:

Last Thursday night we had just sat down to eat dinner. We grilled chicken and pineapple that night. I was only a few bites into my chicken, as soon as I swallowed I knew something was wrong.

It wasn’t long before Woods knew she needed emergency medical attention:

I told Aaron I needed to go to the ER that something is stuck and it’s not right. That night we went to Presbyterian Denton, I was then transferred Friday morning to Presbyterian Dallas all to be transferred one last time to UTSW Friday evening. Each hospital tried but had to work very carefully also as I’m 20 weeks pregnant. I eventually went back to surgery on Saturday afternoon.

The surgery was almost 3 hours long, they finally found the wire bristle that was embedded in my esophagus and had already skin growing over it.

Woods continued:

This was one of the most terrifying things I have went through and it could be prevented if those weren’t sold!! I urge you to share my story and tell anyone that has a wire-bristle grill brush to throw it away!

Wire bristle grill brushes can be purchased most place from anywhere from $8 to $40.

However, even Consumer Reports issued a warning against the wire brushes in 2018:

If you use a stainless steel or brass wire brush to remove stuck-on food from grill grates, be aware of this surprising downside: Small, sharp bristles can break off as you’re cleaning and get stuck to your grill’s cooking surface. The next time you grill, those stray bristles may adhere to food and be accidentally ingested.

So far, nearly 128,000 people have shared Woods’ story.

Dearly has reached out to Woods to see how she is recovering. We have not yet heard back.

Leave a comment

In response to:

Mom Warns Against Using Bristle Brushes on Grills After One Got Stuck in Her Esophagus

Your email address will not be published.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.