A mother heartbroken over her son’s situation warns others about the dangers of vaping after a vape pen exploded in his mouth.
Mailan Krein shared her story with WVUE after injuries from the accident lead to Christopher needing reconstructive surgery.
Krein said that unfortunately, the 21-year-old picked up vaping while trying to quit smoking. She begged her son to ditch his nicotine habit, so he started using a battery operated device as a way to wean himself off cigarettes.
Up until the day of the explosion Christopher was using the vape brand called VGod. Then one day while getting ready for work, the pen fired off like an explosive. Krein said:
“He said it was like a shotgun that went off in his mouth.”
That’s when Krein got a call from her husband saying their son was in the ER. His jaw was broken in three places, and he had lost several of his teeth.
Krein’s husband told her:
“Christopher’s face blew up.”
When she finally arrived at the hospital, she said:
“He had an IV in there, the doctor was trying to control the bleeding, there was blood everywhere, and all I could think to ask him was, ‘Do you still have your tongue?’ And he nodded yes.
I couldn’t even look at him because it made me sick to my stomach. That’s my baby.”
“It’s still shocking to me talking about it. I’m visualizing what my son is going through. He has several years to reconstruct his mouth.”
Krein started a GoFundMe to raise $20,000 for Christopher’s medical bills and surgery. The family has also hired an attorney after facing up to $300,000 in hospital bills.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the boy’s explosion in one of 195 cases that have been reported since 2009.
The Louisiana Vaping Association’s issued the following statement regarding the accident:
Though instances like this are incredibly infrequent, they are most commonly the result of a corrupted or misused battery; however, without knowing specifics it’s hard to tell what may have happened.
On the company’s website, VGod warns about the dangers of batteries that can spark, gas, or produce acid.
Watch the video below: