in ,

Mom Hopes the Story of How Her Son Pretended a Blind Cord Was a Necklace Will Save Another Child’s Life

Mom Arika Hernandez took to Facebook over the weekend to warn other parents about the dangers of window blind cords.

According to Hernandez, she battled with herself on whether or not she should post the warning publicly.

WARNING SENSITIVE MATERIAL BELOW! I have gone back and forth about posting this or not posting this but I believe if…

Posted by Arika Hernandez on Friday, January 11, 2019

However, she eventually conceited that “if this post saves one child’s life it’s worth being vulnerable.” She continued:

Our sweet 3-year-old boy is a survivor. On January 7th our son climbed up to the top bunk bed and wrapped the blind cords around his neck. He then began to walk down the ladder as the cords tightened he panicked and tried to yell for mom and dad but nothing came out. He scratched [at] the cords to loosen them but all he could grab was skin.

As Hernandez wrote, his last attempt to free himself from the cord is what inevitably saved his life:

At the last attempt to get free he jumped to come get us and that very jump saved his life! The cord snapped and freed him! We heard a loud thud (his jump) and then his loud scream!

The mom admitted that the scream her son let out after freeing himself is something she will never forget.

Hernandez continued:

This was not just any scream it is one I have never heard in my life and it will forever be ringing in my ears. We took him to get checked out in the ER and they were very concerned and shocked. These blind cords are not meant to break. We are counting our blessings! God has big plans for our little boy, it was not his time to go. Please please please take my message and take action now!!

She then made a call to action, saying, “No corded blinds are safe” and that spending the extra money of cordless blinds is worth “every penny.”

Hernandez also admitted that this particular situation is one she never thought she would find herself in:

This is something I didn’t think my kids would do because I am constantly nagging them about not putting things around their neck. Kids will be kids and they explore, my son told me he was making a necklace and that’s why it was around his neck.

According to NPR, Hernandez’s son’s story isn’t totally unusual.

A study published in 2017 reports that “more than 16,000 children in the U.S. were treated in emergency departments for injuries caused by window blinds between 1990 and 2015,” which means an average of almost two children every day found themselves tangled in blind cords.

Dearly

Of those 16,000 children, 271 of them passed away as a result.

Hernandez continued:

Even if you cut the cords once the blinds are lifted up it creates a hazard. The cords can not be cut short to make them safer… there are still inner cords and if the cord is pulled so the blinds go all the way up, that pull cord will then be long enough to make a loop & strangle a child. My heart goes out the families that have lost their loved ones this way I am so sorry for that heart ache and can’t imagine the pain you have gone through. These accidents can be prevented let’s take action now! You can never be too safe in your own home.

Thankfully, Hernandez’s son is on the mend.

She added, “Please help me save the next kid and share this message. Most importantly hug the people that mean the most to you. Be grateful you have another beautiful day with them.”

What do you think?

206 points
Upvote Downvote

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

‘Sister Wives’ Family Is Growing by One Again. Maddie and Husband Announce They’re Expecting Second Child

Family With Toddler Was Kicked Off Flight Due to ‘Body Odor’ and Left Without Stroller or Car Seat