Samantha Andersen had dumped out the last few gummy vitamins when she noticed something strange. It looked like there were tiny pieces of metal in there.
As WDAF News reports, the mom-of-three from Overland Park, Kansas has used Zarbee’s Naturals multivitamins for years. This particular bottle was almost empty, and Samantha needed to separate the last few vitamins, which were stuck together.
But when Samantha emptied the bottle onto a plate, she could see tiny black specks in and around the vitamins. Their jagged edges suggested they were metal shavings, and a quick test with a magnet confirmed it. The mom told WDAF:
“My husband said, ‘Take a magnet and see if it sticks,’ and sure enough the magnet picked them right up.”
The metal pieces weren’t just loose inside the bottle. As Samantha later showed the WDAF reporter, the metal was also embedded in the vitamins: “These two gummies, you can see a flake here inside of the gummy.”
Sooo we found some sharp metal flakes in the bottom of Milani’s chewable multivitamin bottle. The metal flakes were even…
Worried because she had been giving the vitamins to her 3-year-old daughter, Milani, for months, Samantha contacted her pediatrician who told them to take Milani to the hospital.
While waiting for the results of an x-ray, Samantha posted a warning about the vitamins on Facebook, writing, “we found some sharp metal flakes in the bottom of Milani’s chewable multivitamin bottle. […] There’s 55 servings in a bottle and she’s had about 50 so who knows how many metal flakes she ingested.”
Fortunately, Milani did not have, “large amounts of metal,” in her body. However, the x-rays did show that there was metal in the young girl’s intestines. Samantha wrote, “Now we have to watch for bloody stools, pain or fever.”
The mom contacted Target, where she bought the vitamins, as well as Zarbee’s and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA is currently investigating the complaint, while Zarbee’s reportedly asked that Samantha send them the bottle and offered her some coupons.
Samantha told 12 News that she still has questions about how the metal shards ended up in her daughter’s vitamins — though she has done some research on what might have happened:
“Food is mass produced these days, and metal machines will break apart. And I guess pieces will fall into the production line, but there’s supposed to be tools or people in place to catch those things.”
She added that she still feels guilty about having unwittingly given her daughter tainted vitamins for at least two months:
“I fed these to her. I feel like I have failed. I feel terrible that this metal is in her stomach.”
According to KUTV News, after Samantha posted her warning, at least one other mom reported issues with a bottle of Zarbee’s medicine. Mom Karly Dunn posted on Facebook that her bottle of children’s dark honey nighttime cough medicine had strange black specs in it. She added that Zarbee’s is investigating.