Celebrity makeup artist and hair stylist Crystal Kouri-Reynafarje says she was overwhelmed by anxiety when doctors put her son on her chest for the very first time in the delivery room.

Eventually, after a long, hard labor and delivery, she discovered her baby boy was born with Treacher Collins syndrome. Reynafarje told Voyage LA:

Complete hysteria set in. I remember apologizing to my husband thinking that I had done something wrong. Was I too old?

Why would the universe/God punish my child? Why would the universe/God allow this child to be born into such cruel emotional circumstances and medical hardships?

Working in the entertainment industry, Reynafarje admits that she completely “shut down” because she was concerned about acceptance and people bullying her son.

Yet instead of sheltering the boy, she told Yahoo it was important to take PJ out into the community, so Reynafarje started a social media page for her son, who she says is happily unaware of his cosmetic deformities.

However, she wasn’t prepared for the vicious online bullying that ensued last month.

Watch the video below:

View this post on Instagram

Warning ⚠️ sexual and violent content. (Full video link in bio) • • This was sent to me and many other special needs parents and children by a group of bullies • • I’ve spent days trying to process this and trying to figure out how to handle it. I have exhausted every avenue. I have called the police and filed a “tip” on FBI.gov. I have reported their accounts to Instagram, yet their accounts are still active. • • This isn’t general bullying!! Sadly, I’ve grown completely oblivious to the usual rude and hurtful comments. BUT THIS IS NOT BULLYING – ITS ON ANOTHER LEVEL. Why are threats to kill children not taken seriously? • • Yes, 99% chance that they are just internet trolls with no agenda to carry out their terrorist threats…. but it’s 1% that scares me. • • With the level of violence in today’s society, can we really afford to be dismissive? • • #choosekind #bekind #kindiscool #differentiscool #scarsarecool #treachercollinssyndrome #treachercollins #babywithtcs #facialdifference #childrenwithfacialdifferences #selfacceptance #selflove #stopbullying #specialneeds #specialneedschildren #specialneedsbully #pjsplayhouse

A post shared by PJ aka PEEEJ! (Paul Jr) (@pjs_playhouse) on

Reynafarje told Yahoo:

“We get bullying types of comments all the time — rude, insensitive, hurtful comments, like, ‘That’s an ugly kid.’ That’s fine with me. I don’t care. I brush it off all the time.”

But the deliberately cruel insults and threats from a group of online bullies against her 1-year-old hit hard.

Reynafarje reported the alarming message to police and an FBI tip page but says the incident was dismissed. She wrote in the video’s caption:

I have been told that they will only investigate when specific threats are made. So threats against children in general are dismissed?

According to Instagram’s community guidelines, the site removes content that contains threats or hate speech. As reported by CNN, Instagram says it will now detect bullying in posts.

Harassment such as attacks will be sent to the community operations team for review.

About the author

Tiffani is a writer for Dearly. She is from New York City. Prior to working for Dearly she covered fashion news and managed social media for various digital media outlets.

Leave a comment

6 Replies to “Mom Refuses to Hide Son With Special Needs From Public Despite Trolls Who Threaten Him”

  • Kathleen 2 years ago

    People can be so cruel! I took care of a little girl with treacher collins many years ago and she was/is a very loving girl who is kind, caring, beautiful,smart and able to do anything any other child can do. She is an adult now and has a very fulfilling life and is extremely happy. Your baby is beautiful as well and don’t ever let these people say otherwise!

  • Catherine McIver 2 years ago

    Your child is beautiful! If everyone looked like him, then it would be ok but since he looks different it’s not ok? He’s ugly? No way!! The ones spewing hate are the ugly ones!

  • Kathy 2 years ago

    I think your little boy is adorable, and that smile is so cute and infectious.

  • donna beem 2 years ago

    This is so cruel and heartless of these people! I pray they can be found and something be done to stop this awful abuse! Your child is so beautiful..a sweet child of God..he’s NOT UGLY! These people hurling abuse are the ones UGLY WITH A UGLY EVIL HEART! God will see everything people do and if someone harms a child they will be punished I believed.God bless you and prayers for you and sweet son!

  • Anonymous 2 years ago

    Please, please,PLEASE don’t read these horrible, ignorant messages. Your child is a beautiful gift and I am sure you already know that! He is beautiful and will do great things one day. Love him fully!! Internet trolls are pathetic and I can only imagine what their lives must be to spew these hateful words and thoughts.

  • Kristi F 2 years ago

    That child is beautiful. People are so concerned with appearances. Raise a strong, thoughtful and kind child. That’s ALL that matters. He’s gorgeous and I’d post that baby’s picture everyday.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.