If you’ve recently purchased a Hatchimal bath bomb for your kids, you might want to reconsider placing it under the Christmas tree.
A mom recently posted a warning on Facebook, which has now been taken down, after her daughter received a chemical burn while using the product.Jennifer Renee
Jennifer Renee wrote that she had prepared a bath for her daughter, Willow. Less than a minute later, Willow started complaining that her skin hurt.
Immediately, the young girl was removed from the bath. She was brought to the doctor’s office the next morning where she was diagnosed with a chemical burn.
Renee wrote that Willow has never had a problem using bath bombs before. This was the first time she had experienced a negative reaction.
The mom called the company to warn them of her daughter’s negative reaction to the kids’ bath bomb. A customer service representative told her the batch number is being investigated and “is likely going to be recalled as numerous reports have been made.”
As a warning to friends, Renee posted pictures of the injury, product, and batch number. “I am posting this just in hopes people will monitor closely,” Renee explained. “Everyone loves bath bombs. Lesson learned. All natural ones from now on.”Jennifer Renee
In an interview with Dearly, Renee said she hasn’t heard back from the company since she filed the initial report. However, the company that manufactures the bath bombs, Spin Master, has added her as a friend on Facebook.
Whether the bombs are an actual cause for concern is up for debate. As Snopes reports, Spin Master has yet to release a statement. The company wrote to Snopes that the incident is under investigation:
Spin Master was made aware of the situation via a Facebook post and we are in the process of looking into the matter with the licensee company to whom Spin Master licensed the Hatchimals brand. We are saddened to learn about a young girl’s injuries. That said, it would be premature to comment further on the situation until we learn more. We are working closely with the product’s licensee manufacturer and distributor to determine whether there are any product issues.
Dearly reached out to the company to ask how parents should treat the product while the investigation is underway. The company had not responded by the time of publication.
While the safety of this particular product has yet to be determined, it’s worth noting that several children have experienced similar negative effects from using bath bombs.
In fact, as Allure reported in February, a 10-year-old girl in the U.K. broke out into a rash after bathing with a passion fruit and watermelon bath bomb.
At the time of the incident, Bustle investigated whether bath bombs were safe to use. The publication recommended looking at the ingredients on the packaging and opting for natural ingredients when possible.
Additionally, the chemical burn Willow received was not an isolated incident. Since Renee posted her pictures on Friday, many parents have come forward with their experience of using the bath bombs.
On a positive note, a few people wrote that they have not had problems while using the product. But Renee told Dearly that she’s heard from dozens of people who have shared similar photos and stories while using the bath bombs— including a mom who sent the photograph below:Jennifer Renee
Renee told Dearly that parents who have purchased the item should approach them with caution:
“The only thing I would say is, this is not an isolated incident. I have had multiple parents come forward with images of their children having the same experience. As a parent use your best judgment.”
Initially, Renee purchased the kids’ bath bomb from Walmart as a birthday present for Willow. The mom was thrilled to see a bath bomb with a toy inside for children.
Even though she’s faced some criticism from a few parents on Facebook for sharing her story, Renee told Dearly that she’s glad her story is being heard. She hopes that by sharing, she can help to protect a few other children this holiday season.