As Darian Depreta can attest, even when you’re watching them closely, small children have a way of getting into things and causing panic.
As Kidspot reports, Darian was playing with her 9-month-old daughter, Bella, when she noticed the baby had suddenly developed a strange dark spot on the roof of her mouth. At first, the mom tried to wipe the spot away, but when it didn’t budge, she began to panic. Within half an hour, she was on her way to the doctor’s office.
As Darian wrote on Facebook, the Nurse Practitioner at the doctor’s office was similarly mystified by the dark spot:
I get to the doctors and the Nurse Practitioner tried to wipe it, and said she had never seen anything like it . She decides to consult with the doctors and they suggest maybe a birthmark. I INSISTED it was not because I always look in her mouth and clean it.
After arranging for two appointments with specialists to further investigate the strange dark spot, the nurse decided to take another look at Bella.
Darian showed the nurse that there was a white border on the edges of the spot, which prompted the nurse to, “really [get] in there trying to scrape it.”
This time, the nurse was successful in removing the spot and solving the medical mystery. The strange dark spot was actually a piece of cardboard from a box that Bella had chewed on, which had gotten stuck to the roof of the baby’s mouth.
So I’m playing with Bella today and notice the roof of her mouth is black. I try wiping it to see if it would come off,…
As Darian explained, earlier that day, Bella had managed to grab a box and started to chew on it. While the mom got it away from her and tried to make sure she had all the pieces, she missed one:
I don’t “let” my baby chew on cardboard. She’s teething and tries to chew on EVERYTHING. She just so happened to find a box while I was loading the dishwasher, which I of course took off of her right away. I just didn’t realize a piece got stuck up there. I checked her mouth for small pieces right away.
The mom later clarified on Facebook that she hadn’t been distracted or on her phone when Bella was chewing on the cardboard box. Darian was “loading the dishwasher and she was right behind me when Bella got into a box that was getting ready to be taken outside.”
Once she discovered that — rather than being an alarming medical symptom — it was just cardboard in her daughter’s mouth, Darian was overcome with relief:
I can never show my face in that office again. I cried/laughed for a solid 5 minutes straight.
Yes she could have choked on it and I’m thanking God she did not. The only reason it was posted was because after crying, panicking and trying to figure out what it was (the doctors didn’t even know) , she was ok. The laugh was after the storm of it all.
Once it was over, Darian was able to smile at her panic. She wrote that she was so frightened when she discovered the spot that, “I was crying and asking my mom if she’d need to go to the hospital.”
In the comments, several other moms reassured Darian that her reaction was perfectly natural and far from unusual. Several had been through something similar. One mom remembered the time a black spot in her son’s mouth made her frantic:
Don’t feel bad! I insisted that Rush had a nasty cavity after I discovered a huge black spot back in his molar that I absolutely could not get out with anything I scraped it with. Turns out it was a strawberry seed.
Another mom recalled the time that she mistook a crayon for a gory accident:
I was putting my daughter in the car a few years ago and she put her finger in the door handle where there was a red melted crayon and asked me “what was that?” I completely freaked out like there was a hatchet wound on her finger that was gushing blood all over the door. My reaction was as dramatic as possible!
With the worry over, Darian is now able to laugh about it. As she wrote, “It was by far the funniest parenting moment I have had yet.”