An Australian boy choked to death on a toy bouncy ball just days before his fourth birthday, leaving his mother devastated.

Anna Davis, of Tasmania, spoke of her “beautiful” 3-year-old son on social media, recounting the event that lead to his tragic death on Instagram. Davis explained she was just three feet away from her son, Alby, when he began to choke on a toy ball last Monday.

the.small.folk/Instagram

Davis performed CPR on the boy for “16 excruciating minutes” until paramedics arrived on the scene.

One friend wrote on a GoFundPage set up for the family that the ball got lodged into Alby’s windpipe and the boy couldn’t breathe. Alby passed away in his mother’s arms.

Alby’s mom wrote:

Today, despite the fact you are no longer with us, we celebrate and honour your fourth sunshine journey.

Our arms are yearning for the thousands of cuddles yet to be given, our ears are longing for your laughter to once again resound through the walls of our home, and our hearts are shattered for the millions of memories we’ll never have the chance to create.

We, along with the world, are weeping, but we take solace in the fact that all you ever knew, in your almost-four-years, was nothing but love. We are eternally grateful for the abundant light you bought to our lives and now know that your purpose was so much higher than any of us ever anticipated.

Social media users everywhere sent their condolences to the family by writing Instagram and Facebook comments.

the.small.folk/Instagram

Supporters wrote:

My heart breaks for you and yours! Sending so much love and prayers and we are all holding our little ones much tighter.

You’d never think that this thing will happen. You’d think the balls are big enough and safe enough, I would. I am sorry you had to go through this and precious Alby. He is in heaven now looking down on you all. Sending your family lots of love in this difficult time. Rest In Peace Alby.

This could be any one of us.

I keep finding myself on your page tonight just wanting to send you all the love I have in my heart. There are no words but know that there is a country full of mummies and daddies that’s hearts are breaking for you and sending you their courage and strength! Love to such an incredible family and thoughts and prayers with you and Alby.

Davis sent out grateful messages, however she was disturbed by some of the misconceptions surrounding her son’s tragedy. In an Instagram post, she asked the online community to “disregard the many ignorant, hurtful and incorrect assumptions that have been formed regarding the more specific details of Alby’s passing.”

To clear up misinformation surrounding the choking accident, Davis revealed details of the incident.

the.small.folk/Instagram

She explained that the toy ball is roughly larger than an Australian 50 cent coin.

the.small.folk/Instagram

And the small toy is recommended for children above three years old. The ball packaging states the toy is a choking hazard for children under three however, as his mother wrote in her post, Alby was about to turn four.

the.small.folk/Instagram

She wrote:

The heart ache we are already experiencing is indescribable, and to know there are ill-informed stories and subsequent false accusations circulating, initiated by some incredibly heartless people at this time, only exacerbates our pain.

Yes, I of course, tried to save our beautiful boy.

In the days after Alby’s death, Davis shared photos of her son and said her family is grieving. For those comforting her family through their tragedy, she wrote: “We thank you again, from the bottom of our hearts, for the love and sympathy you have so graciously expressed.”

About the author

Tiffani is a writer for Dearly. She is from New York City. Prior to working for Dearly she covered fashion news and managed social media for various digital media outlets.

Leave a comment

In response to:

Mom Is Devastated After 3-Year-Old Son Dies From Choking Accident— She Was Standing Just 3 Feet Away

Your email address will not be published.