Five-year-old Aden spent his Sunday night watching Jason Aldean take the stage at the Route 91 Harvest music festival in Las Vegas.

When his mother and older sister went to the bathroom, Aden was left with his aunt. However, when gunshots overtook the music, the crowd became chaotic, separating Aden from his aunt.

As the bullets fired, ABC News reports that 26-year-old Lindsay Rogers ran to a merchandise tent where she saw Aden, who had fallen. She made the impulsive decision to take Aden with her as she fled. She said:

“I was nervous to take him because I knew that his mom would be devastated to find that her child was gone, but in the moment we thought that the best decision was to get as many people as safe as possible. The shots were so sporadic and it wasn’t stopping so we took a chance.”

Rogers scooped up Aden and didn’t put him back down until they made it to safety.

Aden’s mother, Doris Huser, felt absolutely “hopeless and helpless.” She was screaming for her son incessantly, but quickly realized that screaming “did no good.”

Aden and Rogers took shelter in a Motel 6 on Tropicana Avenue, while his mother found herself several buildings away. They had no idea they were in such close proximity.

Rogers and friends attempted to call the police to try and reunite Aden with his family. However, nearby officers told them shortly after that taking him to the hospital was their best option.

While arranging a ride, Rogers’s friend, Taylor Sutton, and her off-duty officer boyfriend, Chris Cunningham, had the bright idea to post Aden’s photo on social media and ask people to share it far and wide. Nearby, people also posted Aden’s photo online, “in order to cast the biggest net.”

Sutton said that Aden remained calm throughout the whole process. She said:

“He honestly kept me calm. I didn’t want to freak him out so we told him they were fireworks and asked him, ‘Who were you with before the fireworks happened?’ He didn’t seem scared or worried.”

The group’s brilliant social media sharing frenzy worked, and at some point, a phone number belonging to Aden’s grandpa popped up in someone’s inbox. Aden was taken to a back room at Sunrise hospital to wait for his grandpa. Aden’s mom got the call while she waited at a casino. She said:

“The second time I called and talked to my dad, he answered the phone crying. He said, ‘They found Aden, I don’t know how he is or anything. I just got a phone call saying your grandson is at Sunrise Hospital.'”

Huser was reunited with her son the next morning. She recalled:

“His whole face lit up. I dropped to my knees. I don’t think we’ve ever held each other that hard and that tight. We were one for a minute and he just didn’t want to let go.”

On their way home together, Aden asked his mom:

“Next time, can we all go to the bathroom together?”

Huser “lost it” and started crying. She replied:

“I’ll never leave you ever again. … We will all go together, no matter what, every time.”

So far, 59 individuals have died and 527 have been left injured as a result of the attack.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.