Raelin Scurry and her fiancé, Ean, have a daughter named Amya.

In March, Raelin, Ean, and Amya revealed that they were getting ready to add a second little one to their growing family:


Amya and her parents were excited to welcome a baby boy into their lives in October:


They had no idea that “Baby E” would make such a dramatic entrance into the world.

According to Raelin, she was 29 weeks pregnant when she assumed she was experiencing a series of Braxton-Hicks contractions — normal contractions that can happen throughout pregnancy and are not labor. However, when the contractions started getting more frequent and more intense, Raelin told Ean to take her to the hospital.


She wrote on Instagram:

On August 5, at about 10:00 a.m., I started having contractions. I was only 29 weeks and 4 days, so I just figured they were Braxton hicks and decided to wait it out. After about 45 minutes of consistent contractions increasing in intensity, I decided I should probably go in.

Raelin told Kid Spot that they only live about 15 minutes from the hospital, but because they had to drop Amya off at her godmother’s house, it added about five minutes onto their trip.

What Raelin and Ean didn’t know was that “Baby E” only needed about 14 of those minutes.


When the contractions started getting more intense, Raelin dialed 911. After handing the phone to Ean, Raelin pulled down her pants to check where her baby’s head was, and “sure enough, his head was right there.”

The 23-year-old wrote:

I pushed one time and my miracle baby was here. When I looked down I realized he was still completely wrapped in the amniotic sac. The dispatcher told us to pull over, but I knew we would make it to the hospital before they would make it to us. So I told Ean to keep driving. I was so scared. My fiancé was so calm driving and on the phone with 911.

Raelin told Kid Spot that because her son was born 11 weeks prematurely, she knew it was imperative for her to not disturb the amniotic sac still encasing her boy:

“I knew with him being so early he probably wouldn’t be able to breathe on his own and that he was safe in there so I didn’t disturb it.”

Raelin prayed for her child to be okay.


Then, “Baby E” gave her the sign she needed:

I rubbed his face with my thumb and he pulled his little hands and feet up to his face as if he understood my prayers and wanted to reassure us he was okay. About 7 minutes passed that I held this miracle baby in my hands until we made it to the hospital.

Once they arrived at the hospital, a security guard spotted Raelin holding her newborn baby between her legs and called a code.


Before they knew it, doctors were swarming their car. She explained to Kid Spot:

“The first one I saw was a doctor that I worked with and he grabbed the baby and broke his sac right outside in front of the hospital. He cried immediately. Then they took him to the NICU.

Once the doctors took him from me, I actually got out of the car and tried to follow them but one of the doctors pushed me back into the car and made me wait for a stretcher.”

Raelin said that because the code was announced throughout the entire hospital, little EJ, whose full name is Ean Jr., has been the star of the neonatal intensive care unit.

“I told them he was only 29 weeks and they were even more amazed. None of the doctors had ever seen a completely en caul birth delivered vaginally, they are usually by c-section.”

Ean Jr. was born weighing 3 pounds, 1 ounce, but he is continuing to thrive.


Since being admitted to the NICU, “Baby E” has gained 13 ounces and has developed quite the personality.

Raelin told Dearly that she expects to be able to take her son home within the next couple of weeks.


She added on her Facebook page: “All things considered, I know he’s going to be an awesome little man. He is truly a miracle baby. We are so blessed to be his parents.”

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.