On January 22, 3-year-old Casey Hathaway was outside playing with two other children in the backyard of his great-grandmother’s North Carolina home when he disappeared.

As Dearly previously reported, Hathaway allegedly walked into the woods on his own. The adults at the residents didn’t realize until the two other children notified them.

It wasn’t until the family conducted a 45-minutes search on their own that they called the police for help.

The great-grandmother said in the 911, according to WCTI:

“We lost my two-year-old grandson. He was walking in the woods back there and we can’t find him. 3-year-old grandson. […]

The other ones come through the house but left him there and he walked off somewhere and we can’t find him. […]

It’s been at least 45 minutes, cause we’ve been looking all in the woods for him. “

The operator then asked if Hathaway usually walked into the woods alone, the grandmother replied, “No.”

Although he was wearing a jacket when he disappeared, law enforcement didn’t believe he was dressed properly for when the temperature dropped at night.

For two days and two nights, Hathaway remained nowhere to be found until the evening of January 24.

According to CNN, Hathaway has been found alive.

Shelley Lynch, a spokeswoman for the FBI Charlotte field office, said that the 3-year-old was found in good health by the professional search and rescue crew.

Hathway was then reunited with his family and taken to Carolina East Medical Center where he is being cared for by a team of doctors.

The boy was reportedly found “not far from his great-grandmother’s home.” The captain in charge of the crew that found Hathaway told reporters that they discovered the boy based on a tip they received and located him via his voice.

When they found him they had to untangle him from some of the briars he was caught up in.

Hathaway’s parents told the media after their son was found that they are very grateful to everyone who took the timeout to help them find their son:

“He’s good. He’s up and talking. He’s already asked to watch Netflix, so he’s good.”

You can watch their full statement in the video below:

Leave a comment

2 Replies to “Missing 3-Year-Old Who Wandered Into the Woods at Grandma’s House Is Found Alive 2 Days Later”

  • Anonymous 1 year ago

    Said leave a reply. What for Just Thank God this little boy was found alive. Children obviously can get away so fast! Thank you Jesus!

  • […] months ago, I read the story of a toddler who had wandered in the woods while his grandmother watched him. He was lost for days.  I remember waking up each day actively searching the news and waiting for […]

In response to:

Missing 3-Year-Old Who Wandered Into the Woods at Grandma’s House Is Found Alive 2 Days Later

Your email address will not be published.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.