Georgia middle school student Diamond Brooks didn’t suspect anything unusual on Friday morning when she ate a cookie given to her by a sixth grade classmate.

But an hour later, she was in the back of an ambulance on her way to a local hospital— she had started to feel ill during class, KIRO 7 reports.

Her father, Gary Brooks, said she was treated for “confusion” and was vomiting as she lay in her hospital bed, and it wasn’t long before doctors told the father what was wrong.

The 11-year-old tested positive for having marijuana in her system.

Diamond said that she immediately knew the drugs had to have come from the cookie she was given by her classmate. She told WSBTV:

“If she told me what was in it, I never would have got it from her.”

Despite the fact that the girl claims she had no idea there were drugs in the treat, her father said she has been suspended for five days by her school district for consuming it.

The furious dad says that the suspension is unjustified, his daughter had no idea she was doing anything wrong. He said:

“She didn’t know what it was. She didn’t intentionally do no drugs… When you spike somebody’s drink, they don’t know, so they are supposed to get punished for what happened? That don’t make sense.”

The DeKalb County School District is standing by the suspension, but they have launched an investigation to look further into the incident.

They said in a statement:

The student ingested a dessert, but it cannot confirm if it was laced with a drug. Our investigation will shed more light on what occurred.

It’s unclear if the student who gave Diamond the cookie was reprimanded, Newsweek reports.

For now, the little girl’s father is continuing to work to get her suspension overturned.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.

DEARLY JOINING FORCES WITH MAMA'S UNCUT