Just a day after Meghan Markle confirmed that father Thomas Markle won’t be walking her down the aisle at the royal wedding on Saturday, Kensington Palace his named her replacement.
Thomas will be unable to attend the ceremony at St. George’s Chapel because he suffered a heart attack last week and underwent major heart surgery on Wednesday, Dearly previously reported.
Kensington Palace announced today that Meghan Markle’s father, #ThomasMarkle will indeed be walking his daughter down the aisle. #RoyalWedding Additionally, all Meghan’s bridesmaids and page boys will be children. She didn’t want to have to chose from amongst her friends. pic.twitter.com/buFkcuAAHo
— TheAnglophileChannel (@AnglophileTV) May 4, 2018
He said that he could only attend the wedding if doctors medically cleared him, but greatly anticipated escorting her down the aisle to Prince Harry. He told TMZ:
“I hate the idea of missing one of the greatest moments in history and walking my daughter down the aisle. Of course I’d walk her down the aisle. This is a historic moment. I’d like to be a part of history.”
But now, it’s Prince Harry’s father who will walk with her on the big day.
According to a statement released by Kensington Palace on Friday, Prince Charles will take over Thomas’ role in the royal wedding — at the request of Meghan herself.
— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 18, 2018
The statement read:
Ms. Meghan Markle has asked His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales to accompany her down the aisle of the Quire of St George’s Chapel on her Wedding Day. The Prince of Wales is pleased to be able to welcome Ms. Markle to The Royal Family in this way.
Prince Charles won’t be the only royal taking part in the wedding besides the groom.
Four-year-old Prince George and three-year-old Princess Charlotte will serve as a page boy and bridesmaid respectively, Dearly previously reported.
The wedding will take place at Windsor Castle on Saturday at 12 p.m. GMT.