A McDonald’s employee has been charged after he allegedly poured a peroxide-based cleaner into a police officer’s drink.

Earlier this year, according to KOAM, a sheriff’s deputy picked up food at a local McDonald’s drive-thru. A short time after eating the food he purchased, the officer began experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Allen County, Kansas Sheriff Bryan Murphy told the Wichita Eagle:

“He thought he caught the bug, but we found out two weeks later when an employee came forward and told the police department.”

Twenty-two-year-old Trevor J. Hockaday was working at the restaurant the day of the incident. One of his co-workers came forward and told police that Hockaday reportedly added “four little squirts” of the cleaner to the officer’s iced-tea or coke.

Allen County Police Department

Sheriff Murphy said:

“In today’s day and age, not only us in law enforcement but citizens as a whole, there’s enough going on out there that we have to worry about … now my guys are cautious about going through that drive through.

We all chose this line of work to protect and serve. Now my guys have that concern of is my food safe.”

Franchise owner Glen Nichols is working with investigators on the case. He told KOAM in a statement:

In our restaurants, nothing is more important to us than the safety and well-being of our customers.

We are very disappointed by the allegations made regarding the behavior of one of our former crew members.

This kind of behavior goes against our food safety standards and is not tolerated.

The restaurant suspended the 22-year-old after conducting an internal investigation, but police were never notified. He was arrested on September 12.

Hockaday was later charged with one count of aggravated battery of a law enforcement officer on Thursday.

Joia15/Unsplash

According to the Witchita Eagle, under Kansas law, contaminating “any food, raw agricultural commodity, beverage, drug, animal feed, plant or public water supply” is a felony.

Hockaday could face up to 20 years in jail if convicted.

About the author

Tiffani is a writer for Dearly. She is from New York City. Prior to working for Dearly she covered fashion news and managed social media for various digital media outlets.

Leave a comment

3 Replies to “Officer Thought He Caught a Bug After Eating McDonald’s— Then a Worker Revealed What Was Put in His Drink”

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.

DEARLY JOINING FORCES WITH MAMA'S UNCUT