A 47-year-old man was given devastating news when he went to a respiratory clinic to get checked for a nagging cough that he had for a year.

Doctor’s found a spot on the long-term smoker’s lung in his X-rays, which they thought could be a tumor, according to the BBC.

But they were shocked to find out what it really was when they performed surgery on the unnamed British man to remove the mass.

They found a “long lost Playmobil traffic cone” buried in the man’s lung, a present he got for his seventh birthday.

The British Medical Journal reports the man admitted he “regularly played with and even swallowed” toy pieces as a child, explaining how the toy cone got trapped in his lung.

KTLA reported doctors believe his airway “was able to remodel and adapt to the presence of this foreign body,” because the toy cone, which was less than a half-inch in length, was swallowed when he was so young. It was eventually absorbed right into the lining of his lung.

The BMJ report noted it is not uncommon for kids to ingest small toys, but:

“A case in which the onset of symptoms occurs so long after initial aspiration is unheard of.”

Adding:

“On a positive note, his symptoms improved markedly and he finally found his long-lost Playmobil traffic cone in the very last place he would look.”

His cough is almost gone now, four months after finding and having removed the toy cone from his seventh birthday … 40 years later.

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.

DEARLY JOINING FORCES WITH MAMA'S UNCUT