A Los Angeles news anchor delivered an urgent warning to parents following an alarming near-death incident involving her daughter a few days ago.
“Today in LA‘s” Daniella Guzman was in the kitchen fixing lunch when her toddler got hold of a piece of Easter candy, opened it up, and began choking on it.
Guzman described the terrifying ordeal as the “scariest” moment of her life in an Instagram post and Facebook video.
The mother of 3-year-old Olivia said the child was unsupervised at the time she opened up an egg and started chewing on a pink Starburst.
Guzman’s husband happened to notice that the child temporarily stopped breathing and jumped into action to save her. The news anchor recalled:
“My 3-year-old daughter started opening up her Easter eggs while I was warming up food for lunch and she opened one and she opened one of these little Starbursts and she started choking on them.”
“She could not breathe. I started screaming; I panicked honestly. I am so thankful that my husband was here to help me and he started like, pumping her stomach and she spit it out but I was so scared.”
Watch the video below:
Posted by Daniella Guzman on Sunday, April 21, 2019
According to Children’s Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA), not only do parents need to know how to save a child from choking on food or a small toy, but parents can decrease choking risks by making sure small kids can’t get hold of small objects and hard food that makes it difficult for small children to swallow.
“I know a lot of kids out there are opening their candy from their Easter eggs but please be very careful, especially these little ones right here.”
The mom’s video has been viewed more than 3,000 times on Instagram.
Guzman is happy to report Olivia is doing just fine now but urged parents to keep small candy away from young children.