California mom Delphina Mota said she experienced a real life “horror movie” when she arrived at Tri-City Medical Center in Oceanside to give birth to her daughter.

As Dearly previously reported, the mother was told she’d need an emergency C-section when doctors determined her daughter’s heart rate was dropping. 

Mota said she was strapped down to the operating table and given the procedure without anesthesia when the anesthesiologist “did not respond” when paged.

She told NBC Los Angeles

“Once I felt it, I was just screaming like, ‘Stop. I can feel it. I can feel it.’ And after that, I’m pretty sure I passed out from the pain.”

The father said he was held back by medical staff when he heard his fiancée’s screams. 

The child was born healthy. Now, the family has filed a malpractice and negligence lawsuit against the hospital. 

However, Tri-City Medical Center is hitting back against Mota’s claims, NBC San Diego reports.

Aaron Byzak, Tri-City’s Chief Government and External Affairs Officer, said in a statement: 

While we normally don’t comment on pending litigation, the patient’s public discussion of the care she received during her emergency C-section compels us to address this outrageous allegation. The patient was administered anesthesia prior to surgery.

Mota’s records indicate that she only received an epidural during the procedure, which is technically a type of anesthesia. She was initially planning to have a vaginal birth.

But Norman Finkelstein, Mota’s attorney, said that the epidural had little effect on the pain of a C-section. He told NBC 7 it wasn’t enough:

“It’s not going to have any impact on the area of the body that’s being operated on. So yes, she had anesthesia, but it was worthless.”

The lawyer said he anticipated the hospital using this defense, because they had to “come up with something.”

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.