Parents are being warned against giving young babies honey filled pacifiers and/or pacifiers that have been dipped in honey.

As WSVN reports, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said there have been at least four babies hospitalized with botulism, which was caused by consuming honey.

Botulism can cause muscle paralysis, breathing issues, and possibly death. The rare, but serious, illness typically occurs in infants between the ages of 2 months and 8 months.

According to Mayo Clinic, foodborne botulism, wound botulism, and infant botulism are the three types of botulisms.

Sharon McCutcheon/Unsplash

The warning came after the Texas Department of State and Health Services reported that the three children each had a pacifier filled with honey that was bought in Mexico.

However, those same pacifiers are reportedly sold in the U.S. as well. Even though they are not as common here in the U.S., they are still sold in specialty stores and online.

According to the FDA, honey is a source of one of the bacterias that cause botulism.

Young babies are more in danger of getting the disease because of their undeveloped digestive systems.

In an effort to combat the possibility of young children having infant botulism, the FDA is warning parents to not give honey or honey products to infants younger than 12 months old.

It is also being recommended to avoid any pacifiers filled with food substances.

Leave a comment

In response to:

Four Babies Hospitalized After Being Poisoned by the Honey Filled Pacifiers They Were Given

Your email address will not be published.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.