Treats passed around a fifth grade class in Albuquerque, New Mexico, are now the subject of an intense investigation after people realized what was actually in them.
According to KRQE, one unidentified 9-year-old girl said that she grew completely disoriented:
“I started feeling really dizzy. I felt like the room was going to flip to the side. She had this box, it had a label on it that said ‘Incredibles.’ We just thought it was ordinary gummies.”
She, along with two other students, ate one gummy bear, while the female student handing them out ate three or four, according to reports.
It soon became clear that those gummy bears were actually made with THC, or marijuana. It was reported that none of the students had any idea they were ingesting the drug until they began feeling its effects — including the girl handing them out to her fellow classmates.
The student who handed out the gummies told an adult she couldn’t see during the time her body reacted to the THC. One unnamed parent told KRQE:
“Pure THC, I mean like that’s more potent than smoking marijuana.”
According to the station, the company whose logo was on the gummies claimed it doesn’t make gummy bears and that the laced candies were a fraud.
Despite the dean stating she believed that the fifth grader had no idea what she was handing out, the student was still suspended for a week. The girl’s parents, however, are now under investigation. According to KRQE, they said the gummies were medicinal.
It’s unclear whether anyone will face criminal charges, but some of the students who took the laced gummies feel that the damage has already been done. One of the students told KRQE she’s sad about it, saying all the anti-drug classes she attended “were all for nothing” now.
For more on this story, watch the video below: