For one family, showcasing a live tree this holiday season spoiled Christmas after the fir tree caught fire, leaving the family homeless.

Nicola Jayne Jackson, 33, told Metro that her family’s presents, belongings, and home were burned down just a few weeks before the holiday. She said:

“I am absolutely traumatized and still can’t believe what has happened.”

According to BBC, the West Wales fire department confirmed electrical lights on the Jacksons’ six-foot Christmas tree caused a fire while Nicola, her daughters Nia, 9, and Eva, 6, and her husband Bradley Jackson, 32, were sleeping.

Kelly Berry Just Giving

As reported by Independent, Nicola recalled:

“I was upstairs asleep in bed and my husband was downstairs watching a film and fell asleep on the sofa.

Our dog, Bella, woke me up barking and jumping at me and I thought she wanted a wee. So I went downstairs and shouted at Bradley about letting her out, but then saw black smoke coming from the living room.”

She noticed around 11 p.m. that her front room decorated for the big day was up in flames. The family was only able to escape the fire because Nicola was woken by her dog barking.

Posted by Nicola Jayne Jackson on Monday, December 3, 2018

The mother of two had to drag her sleeping husband out of the house after she rescued her daughters. She said:

“I keep praising my dog Bella and it may sound stupid but she’s so clever and literally saved our lives.”

The Jacksons were forced to move into a hotel due to severe smoke damage. Nicola said:

“This isn’t what Christmas is about and I don’t want my kids thinking that it is.

We should be having a normal Christmas like most families, it just breaks my heart.”

Posted by Nicola Jayne Jackson on Monday, December 3, 2018

Her children asked:

“Will Santa still visit us?”

Family and friends set up a Justgiving page to help the family.

Home repairs will likely not begin until February.

Posted by Nicola Jayne Jackson on Monday, December 3, 2018

According to fire officials, between 2011-2015, Christmas tree fires caused an annual average of 16 injuries, six deaths, and “$14.8 million in property damage,” reports WCNC.

North Carolina Fire Battalion Chief Matt Westover said:

“We’ve seen it in person how fast a fire can destroy a Christmas tree and how quickly it can extend into the house.

The most important thing is to water the tree regularly.”

With Christmas a few weeks away, officials issued a warning about tree safety.

For more holiday safety tips, watch the video below: 

About the author

Tiffani is a writer for Dearly. She is from New York City. Prior to working for Dearly she covered fashion news and managed social media for various digital media outlets.

Leave a comment

9 Replies to “Family Dog Saves Owners as Christmas Tree Bursts Into Flames. Now They’re Left Homeless”

  • Anonymous 9 months ago

    I think I will not have a tree this year….no one at home but me and the cat anyway!? This is downright horrifying..!

  • Sally Allen 9 months ago

    Don’t go to bed with the tree lights left on. When we had a real tree we never left them on if we weren’t at home or going to bed.

  • E. L. Allen 9 months ago

    Don’t go to bed without turning off the tree’s lights. We never left ours on if were not going to be home are when we were going to bed.

  • Anonymous 9 months ago

    Thank god the dog didn’t die in the fire I how
    People are idiots cut off the tree lights when you go to bed or out

  • Bruce 9 months ago

    In this season of giving, giving the life-saving gift of a smoke / CO detector to loved ones and/or others you know who may be too financially stretched to get one seems most appropriate. Fortunately, “man’s best friend” woke them up. Others might not be as blessed to have an alert dog, but blessing someone with a smoke / CO detector could well be a priceless gift!

  • Anonymous 9 months ago

    Why was the fire confined to that one area if she was able to save her 3 family members and no mention of calling the fire dept. Even if department was across the street, there would have been more damage. I am wondering if this is a true story,

  • William Keen 9 months ago

    See how satan gets even with those that call themselves Christians but still celebrate “Christmas”?

    Christmas is a LIE created by the Roman Catholic Church to get the pagans to join. It has NOTHING to do with the Savior!

    `

    • Carol Brandt 9 months ago

      It is what we as Christians make of it. Regardless of its beginnings, Christmas is a celebration of Christ’s birth, though that took place in a different season. I say appropriate holidays whenever possible, as long as it gives glory to God.

  • Carol Neer 9 months ago

    Carol, you are spot on. I love the Lord & Christmas gives opportunities to talk about Him, though the date is incorrect, it doesn’t matter– He knows our hearts & desire to glorify Him.

In response to:

Family Dog Saves Owners as Christmas Tree Bursts Into Flames. Now They’re Left Homeless

Your email address will not be published.