Readers should note that this article contains graphic images of an abused animal. 

In Florida, a dog’s fur was dyed with purple hair dye intended for people. It left the dog suffering from “severe burns, swollen eyes,” and on the brink of death, The Palm Beach Post reports.

Pinellas County Animal Services posted a description of what happened and included a photo album of the abused, five-pound, white Maltese mix named Violet, on their Facebook page.

The post read, in part:

Violet was dyed a purple color (her namesake) … only the purple parts weren’t like the pictures you usually see. Violet’s eyes were swollen shut, she was limp and listless, she had obvious burns to her skin — we gave fluids, pain meds and we gently washed as much of the chemical dye off as we could, we bandaged her up.

Violet went home with the veterinarian, and the shelter waited to see if she would make it through the night. She did and came back the next morning, although she still had a long way to go.

The post continued:

We began the arduous process of shaving off her hair to really measure the damage — to our horror her skin began to slough off. Good thing Violet was peacefully anesthetized. It was so much worse than we initially thought — how would this little dog make it through?!

Employees at Pinellas County Animal Services became attached to the little dog, as she was becoming more alert and “freely offering kisses.”

For the next three months, the little dog went on a regimen of “pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anesthetizing and bandage changes.”

When they finally removed her bandages, they found that her wounds healed and that she would survive. And there was even more good news to come for the pup.

The shelter shared:

When the final badges came off we breathed a collective sigh of relief — Violet was beautiful.

The post also shared a warning about dyeing pets’ fur. It read:

Chemicals in hair dye are toxic causing a wide array of external injuries to your pet — possible burns, blindness and, because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don’t.

It ended by announcing the best news of all: Violet was adopted and has found her forever home with people who specialize in “beautifying pets.” Although some of her fur hasn’t grown back yet, the shelter wrote, “[s]he will always have her own individual style.”

Leave a comment

In response to:

Dog Dyed Purple by Previous Owners Had Skin Sloughing Off, Left Animal Services Unsure She’d Make It

Your email address will not be published.