Last month, Indiana father Cameron Hardwick wanted to give his 3-year-old a treat for finishing her meal, so he grabbed a Capri Sun out of the fridge.
But the dad noticed something “a little off” about the pouch, he said on Facebook.
Though there appeared to be no holes in the packaging, the contents seemed lower than the other Capri Sun pouches. And when he looked through the clear bottom of the pouch, he spotted an “unknown substance.”
That’s when Hardwick grabbed the camera and filmed himself cutting open the juice package.
Inside, he saw what appeared to be a large clump of mold.
The father posted the video and some photos to Facebook, along with a warning to other parents about the brand. He wrote:
**Public Service Announcement!** Friends & family please read & share! So tonight after dinner our oldest asked for some “juice” (Capri Sun) as a treat for eating good, I grabbed one out of the refrigerator and notice something odd about it… it seems low in content, I take a closer look at the packaging and don’t notice a hole or anything. So I shake it up some, only to find an unknown substance floating around in the package. To say we are irate would be an understatement… we don’t give these to our children often but will NEVER again! #SERIOUSLY #CapriSun
His post quickly went viral. The large response prompted Capri Sun’s parent, Kraft Foods, to send out a representative to collect a sample of the substance, KSAZ reports.
After laboratory testing, it was determined that the pouch had a “micro-puncture” that allowed mold to grow inside.
In a statement to Yahoo Lifestyle, a spokesperson for Kraft Foods said:
“Food quality and safety are our highest priority. This was an isolated case. We reached out to this consumer on September 25, as soon as we became aware of the video. Our Quality team has tested the product and confirmed this was a case of mold from a puncture. We shared this information with him on September 30.
Although rare, it is possible for mold to grow inside containers of preservative-free juice drinks if the pouch is punctured in any way on its journey from our facilities to people’s homes. We understand it’s unpleasant, but the mold is naturally occurring, just like if you left an apple on your counter for too long and mold begins to grow.
In 2014, we introduced new packaging that is clear on the bottom, so parents can check each Capri Sun for freshness. We also recommend gently squeezing each pouch to check for leaks before serving Capri Sun to their kids. Leaky or punctured pouches should be discarded.”
Capri Sun’s website does warn that mold may occur inside the pouch, though it’s rare.
Regardless, the father said he plans to never give his child the juice brand again.