When Jaina McGloghlon’s parents tucked her into bed on Wednesday night, they said goodnight to a young girl with a “uncontainable spirit and giant heart.”
According to KATU News, Jaina McGloghlon’s parents did not realize that the mylar birthday balloon they had left in her room would soon lead to tragedy.
Lost my niece a few days ago she was named after expanded universe character (Jaina Solo) please help me get her back…
But twenty minutes after they tucked her in, Jaina’s father found her unresponsive, and tried desperately to get her breathing again.
“My son went in to check on her and all he saw was a foot sticking out of her bed. Then he took the covers off and found the balloon on her head,” said Pat McGloghlon, Jaina’s grandmother. “He put her on the floor and cut the balloon off her head. He started CPR and we called 911.”
Jaina was not able to be revived, unfortunately. Emergency personnel say that Jaina had tried to suck the helium out of the balloon, which led her to suffocate.
According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, between 1973 and 2011, over one hundred children have died as the result of balloon suffocation, making it the leading cause of death by suffocation amongst children. Because the majority of these deaths involved deflated balloons, the Commission warns parents of children under eight against playing with deflated balloons unsupervised, but after Jaina’s tragic death, that warning could be extended to all balloons.
RIP Jaina Mcgloghlon. Your family is in our hearts. Mom, please hold this young girls hand and guide her. Amen!
Though Jaina’s death was ruled an accident, her family hopes that their story could save another child’s life. Pat McGloghlon says that they are devastated and wish it were possible to turn back the clock and get her granddaughter back.
“Everybody just hug their kids and tell them you love them,” she said tearfully.