The mysterious death of a 13-year-old girl in Kentucky has left her father and hospital staff members baffled.

On February 23, Lilliana Schalck, a Premier Athletics of Northern Kentucky cheerleader, was warming up with her team at an All-Star cheer competition, ABC News reports.

During this time, she began experiencing numbness in her hands and tingling in her feet.

Dan Schalck, the eighth grader’s father, said:

“I kind of took her aside, was maybe going to get her some fluids.he was just getting kind of weaker, just not acting herself. She just wanted to sit on the floor.”

After asking a few questions, medical staff at the facility took Lilliana “to the emergency room at a children’s hospital in Columbus.”

It was then that things unexpectedly went downhill.

Schalck said:

“Very quickly in the ER things just kind of degraded. The nurse liaison pulled me aside and asked me who would be important in her life that I might like to call.”

While at the hospital, Schalck said his daughter’s heart had stopped four different times.

He told ABC News:

“In the ICU they were working on her. At some point I was able to get close, hold her hand. At that point they just couldn’t do anymore.”

Meanwhile, her cheer team, who was scheduled to perform at 6 p.m., dropped out of the competition at 5:45 p.m. due to Lilliana’s absence.

Please join us in prayer at 2pm today at Premier Athletics NKY to remember our sweet angel we have tragically lost. Our…

Posted by Premier Athletics of NKY on Sunday, February 24, 2019

Schalck said his daughter was dead by 7:40 p.m.

He said to ABC News:

“One nurse came out and said, ‘We have no idea. We’re grasping.’ I was in disbelief. I couldn’t understand what had happened so quickly.”

And went on to tell The Enquirer:

“We went from waiting for her to perform at 5:50 p.m. to holding her hand and they announced that she had passed at 7:40 – the only thing I can say was, ‘What the hell just happened? What happened? How can this be?’ Just gone.”

According to Dr. Anahi Ortiz of the Franklin County Coroner’s Office, “there are no preliminary findings from Lilliana’s autopsy.”

As NBC News reports, Schalck said:

“You just keeping going over the sequence of events of the whole day and try to see if there was something that I missed — something more I could have done as her father.”

He continued by telling The Enquirer:

“I can’t get my head around it at all. No discoloration, no tiredness, no weakness, no confusion – her grades all straight As across the board. Fit, athletic, no indication and of course I’m racking my brain. Did I miss something?”

Schalck believed his daughter was in overall good health in the days leading up to her death, according to NBC News.

He told The Enquirer that she had a minor cold the week prior and had complained about an achy hamstring, which they got checked out by a doctor, and was told, “it was fine.”

As ABC News reports, it will take another eight to 10 weeks before the full coroner’s report is complete.

Meaning, in the meantime, Schalck is left to cope with his daughter’s passing without any information to help him understand.

About the author

I am a journalist from the D(M)V, who is just trying to make every day count.

Leave a comment

2 Replies to “Teen Girl Falls Ill Prior to Cheer Competition. Her Dad Now Wonders What He ‘Missed’ After Her Sudden Death”

  • Chrissy 1 year ago

    Heartbreaking. Glad to see the support he has during this difficult time. RIP young lady. I know one Dad who will always be thinking of you. Life is so hard sometimes.

  • Melanie 1 year ago

    I can’t even begin to imagine what this family is going through! I would think in weeks to come reports will come back on tissues obtained that will give the answer to what happened here. Very sad! Praying for the family always.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.