The morning of Nichola Tuohy’s wedding was the stuff nightmares are made of.

As The Sun reports, the U.K. mom of three met fiancé Darren Ferne online in September 2014. They were so sure they’d found true love that Ferne proposed only a few weeks later. As Tuohy told the Sun, that was a bit too fast for her, but she was ready to say “yes” when the time was right:

“I was in love and blown away, but it was too soon. So when he asked again three months later, on Valentine’s Day 2015, I said yes. He was my perfect man.”

The couple began planning for the big day, a $17,000 wedding to be held in July 2016. All the way up to the rehearsal, things seemed to be going perfectly. Tuohy told the Sun that even practicing the kiss was wonderful, and “the best part was we got to do it all again for real the next day.”

But from the moment she woke up on the morning of her wedding day, things started to go wrong. Tuohy admits she started off in “a huge panic,” over everything that had to happen before it was time to walk down the aisle.

The first stop was getting her make-up done at a local department store — a process that took much longer than scheduled and left her looking like she’d walked off the set of a reality TV show. She told the Sun:

“When it was done it didn’t look like me. I wanted to cry. I felt like an extra from Towie.”

Already behind schedule and with just an hour-and-a-half before “I do,” Tuohy ran home to wash off her make-up and re-do her face. Waiting for her were her parents, who had decided this was the right moment to let Tuohy know they refused to attend a wedding they disapproved of.

This meant Tuohy had to rush her children to the hotel with her to finish getting ready, where she learned there was a problem with the reservation. Time continued to tick by, and Tuohy grew more anxious and upset. She and the children were still not dressed and ready to go to the church.

To make matters worse, once she got the hotel room sorted out, Tuohy discovered that her daughter’s flower girl dress had been left behind. And in the midst of the chaos, a bridesmaid texted to let her know that she wasn’t going to make it to the wedding due to a sick child. Tuohy told the Sun:

“I started crying. I had a bare face, no make-up on, no dress on, no flower girl dress and half an hour to get ready.”

Tuohy called her fiancé, who was already at the church with her oldest son. Ferne let her know the guests were being seated, and she needed to hurry and get there. But she says this only made her more stressed.

That’s how Tuohy ended up standing outside a vintage car with one child dressed and the other needing a flower girl dress that was still at home, holding the wedding gown that she planned to put on at church.

But Tuohy hadn’t planned on driving the children to the wedding, and the vintage car had no seat belts. So now, she couldn’t arrive in the special car and would have to drive her own car 30 miles in 20 minutes to make it to the church on time. Even if she made it, she would still arrive with her wedding dress in the trunk and her flower girl in street clothes.

Under the circumstances, it’s no surprise that Tuohy gave up. She told the Sun:

“I had a wave of panic and, exhausted, I just lay down defeated. My heart sank when I realized I’d missed my own wedding. I had jilted my groom without meaning to.”

Accepting that she wouldn’t make it to the church, Tuohy drove home to pick up the flower girl dress and then went straight to the reception, still not in her bridal gown.

There, she had another hurdle to overcome. Ferne had been left standing at the altar in front of all of their guests. He’d tried to persuade the officiant to wait a little longer, but there were other couples scheduled to be married that day.

When the wedding deejay approached Ferne about his pay, it was the last straw for the aggravated groom. He walked out, leaving Tuohy alone at her own wedding reception.

That night, Tuohy tried to get Ferne to talk about what happened, but he was still angry. Though they tried to stay together after the failed wedding, Tuohy said they eventually “drifted further apart and split up.” She told the Sun she hopes Ferne will forgive her eventually:

“It was my fault. I just got so overwhelmed with things to do on the day that I had a meltdown. I feel like I have lost everything.”

On what would have been her first wedding anniversary, Tuohy posted on Facebook that she’s still filled with hurt and regret over what happened, but is tired of bearing all the blame for it. She wrote:

I wanted our wedding more than anything and am devastated and I won’t ever get over it.

Ferne doesn’t deny that the wedding day disaster was the cause of their break-up. As he told the Sun:

“We would probably still be together now if our wedding hadn’t been ruined. It’s not the kind of thing you can get over easily.”

Leave a comment

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.