Camron Jean-Pierre

Camron Jean-Pierre’s family knew he was allergic to fish and tried their best to keep him away from it.

As WABC News reports, the 11-year-old boy from Piscataway, New Jersey had gone to New York City to visit his grandparents and wish them a happy New Year.

Camron and his father, Steven, walked into the house just as his grandmother and aunt began making a Caribbean dish known as salt fish. Camron’s mother told WABC that there had been some confusion and the family thought that Camron had left. That’s why they began cooking the fish as he returned:

“They thought that he left, because when his dad left, they thought he left with his dad. I guess they forgot something at the house and went back, and he went in the house and then he inhaled the fish. When he inhaled the fish, I guess that triggered off an asthma attack, and he couldn’t breathe. His lungs tightened up, and his dad attempted to give him the nebulizer machine.”

Because he suffered from asthma, Camron never went anywhere without a nebulizer. Unfortunately, the nebulizer didn’t appear to be working and the boy struggled to breathe. Steven told the New York Daily News:

“I don’t know, for some reason he was saying it wasn’t working. He kept telling me, ‘I’m not able to breathe.'”

Steven called 911 and began trying to give his son CPR while they waited for paramedics to arrive. He told the Daily News:

“I tried to give him the CPR and he came back but I wish I knew [how] to keep pumping him because he woke up and I felt his heart and everything. But I stopped and sat him up to make him feel better.”

Steven told WABC that Camron’s last words were an attempt to comfort and calm his distraught father:

“My son’s last words were, ‘Daddy I love you. Daddy I love you.’ He gave me two kisses, two kisses on my face. He said, ‘I feel like I’m dying.’ I said, ‘Don’t say that. What are you talking about? Don’t say that.'”

Paramedics tried to revive Camron, but the boy was pronounced dead at the hospital. Authorities are now investigating how the smell of cooking fish triggered such a bad allergic reaction.

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI), cooking fish can release proteins into the air that may cause an allergic reaction. In addition, fish allergies often cause anaphylaxis, a life-threatening reaction that sends the body into shock and impairs breathing.

The ACAAI warns that anaphylactic reactions can occur suddenly and progress very quickly. Symptoms include difficulty breathing, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hives, hoarseness, tightness of the throat, abdominal pain, diarrhea, fainting, low blood pressure, rapid heart rate, and cardiac arrest.

Those at risk for a severe reaction should carry an epinephrine pen and seek emergency treatment if there are any signs of anaphylaxis.

A GoFundMe campaign has been set up to help the family with funeral expenses. Steven told the Daily News that he is still in shock over the loss of his son:

“We knew he had an allergy … but usually, he don’t get nothing that severe like that. He don’t eat fish. We don’t put it around him. It just so happens they was cooking it when we came in. That was my prince, man. He was my everything. Everything.”

Leave a comment

6 Replies to “Boy With Allergy Walks Into Grandma’s House While She’s Cooking Fish — the Smell Caused a Fatal Reaction”

  • magda 2 years ago

    My cousin ended up in the hospital due to cooking fish in the premises. She survived. She has allergies and suffers from asthma too.

  • MariaRose 2 years ago

    Sad story, but that was a known allergy to the boy too, at age 11, he should know to stay away from fish in any form, shape, scent, etc. That specific dish has a strong scent, when cooked, which can be smelled immediately and it sounds like he walked all the way into the room ( kitchen) to have gotten such a sudden reaction. Where was his EpiPen?

    • Anonymous 2 years ago

      Your response really concerned me. Although he may have known he had a fish allergy he is 11years old and it’s the responsibility of adults to keep him safe as well. Can you imagine what his aunt and grandmother feel like right now? That would be horrific for me if my actions caused my grandchildren’s death. I would carry that with me to my grave. I do think that sometimes people are lax about EpiPens and if you have a known allergy that is life threatening please educate yourself how to use it properly and educate family members as well and always keep your EpiPen on you. So sad for this family!

  • Anonymous 2 years ago

    My grandson has peanut allergy and I live in fear that I might accidentally cause a reaction , this is so sad and I feel for the grandmother.

  • anonymous 2 years ago

    Many people cannot imagine that one can have an allergic reaction to even the odor of fish, even though they will believe that the touch of a peanut shell can cause a reaction. I am amazed and gratified to even see this post; I’ve had the same allergy all my life, and never thought I would see something like this in print.

  • Melanie 2 years ago

    I have a Type 1 latex allergy from wearing latex gloves during my nursing career and I am the same way. I cannot touch or inhale where natural latex from rubber tree is or has been, such as latex balloons because of the air born latex particles that I could inhale or latex gloves, pencil eraser residue, rubber bands or 41 thousand more things made of natural latex. Anaphylaxis will happen and I carry EpiPens with me always. What a horrific tragedy for Camron and his family. My thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

We are excited to announce Dearly has joined forces with Mama’s Uncut. Helping Mom’s across the United States answer questions on life’s big challenges.