Everly Macario was concerned when her 18-month-old baby, Simon, started coming down with a fever and a cough.
When she noticed his skin started turning cold, she rushed him to the hospital. Sadly, MomsRising reports, the next day Simon passed away from a rapid onset infection.
Everly wrote on MomsRising:
Twenty-four hours later, Simon died. My life has never been the same.
It wasn’t until months after Simon died that we learned how. Simon had contracted an antibiotic-resistant bacterium called, “methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus,” also known as “MRSA.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), MRSA is a bacteria that is resistant to many forms of antibiotics. It can be spread from contact with an “infected wound” or personal item that has been in contact with the bacteria.
A prominent symptom of a MRSA infection includes a bump or spot on the skin that appears infected.
MRSA infections on the skin are typically warm, painful, or filled with pus. Often it is accompanied by a fever.
The University of Chicago MRSA Research Center reports that an estimated 90,000 Americans suffer from MRSA infections each year in the U.S.
Of those infected, an estimated 20,000 people die from MRSA — and many of them are children.
Everly doesn’t know how her son came into contact with the superbug.
She wrote on MomsRising that Simon didn’t have the typical symptoms of a MRSA infection. Even though she tried her best to save her son, he still passed away.
Now she’s taking steps to reduce her antibiotic intake at her home, but she’s devastated that she lost her son to MRSA.
She hoped to share her story to help raise awareness of MRSA and antibiotic resistance to protect other families.