Notifications

British mother Emma Woodland wasn't too concerned when her toddler, Bonnie, started having slight trouble breathing recently.

Doctors told Woodland that it was just a little virus and that she should just bring her home to rest, according to her recent Facebook post.

But soon enough, Bonnie's breathing problems continued to worsen — and now, the mom has a serious warning for other parents.

Emma Woodland/Facebook

Woodland's concern started when her daughter started making “strange breathing noises” just hours after getting home from the doctor.

She immediately called an ambulance. As she wrote on Facebook:

The paramedics took her observations and noticed her oxygen levels were ever so slightly lower than they should be but nothing serious, so for precaution they took us to our local hospital.

And it's a good thing they did, according to the Daily Mail.

The 38-year-old mom said Bonnie was “happy and smiling” when they arrived at the hospital, but “within the matter of an hour she had stopped breathing.”

The toddler was quickly hooked up to breathing tubes and put on life support. It turns out little Bonnie was suffering from bronchiolitis.

According to Kids Health, bronchiolitis is a respiratory tract infection that is usually caused by a virus and can be very dangerous for infants and their small airways. The most common age range for the illness is 3 months to 2 years old.

However, Woodland never realized that the infection could almost cost her daughter's life. The mom wrote:

If like me, I never even knew that Bronchiolitis could kill a child? ... After speaking with other parents and doctors it is more common than I ever realised especially at this time of year.

Now, she wants to make sure that other parents learn from her scary experience. She's encouraging parents to be more careful when it comes to their children's breathing.

Woodland warned in her Facebook message:

Please if you have ANY doubts with your child or baby’s breathing, anything at all, then don’t hesitate to call an ambulance. Even if it the smallest snuffle or gasp, then get them to A&E.

Luckily, the family has their little girl back after she spent a week in the hospital. Now, the mom says she'll always remember to go with her “instinct.”